Integrating Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) with BoxCast
OBS is free and open source software for video recording and live streaming. You can stream from OBS to BoxCast in two different ways.
Using a BoxCaster
The recommended way to stream from OBS is to use “Projector Mode” to send the program feed to a secondary HDMI output that is plugged into the BoxCaster. Using this approach provides the following advantages:
- The BoxCaster’s hardware encoding relieves your computer from the task of encoding the video and audio. Hardware encoding is more reliable and efficient.
- The BoxCaster can take advantage of specially-designed communication protocols to optimize your available network connectivity, while Open Broadcaster Software cannot.
- The BoxCaster gives us the ability to help troubleshoot any issues with your broadcast, including hundreds of data points and logs our agents can look at.Open Broadcaster Software provides limited troubleshooting capability.
To stream from OBS through your BoxCaster:
- Connect the Boxcaster to your computer via the appropriate cables (Display to HDMI, Thunderbolt to HDMI, VGA to HDMI, etc).
- The Boxcaster should be recognized by your computer as a second monitor so you will need to ensure that your display settings are set to recognize your computer as the primary display and Boxcast as a secondary display:
- PC: Panel Items - Display - Screen Resolution - switch Display dropdown to Boxcast
- Mac: System Preferences - Displays - AirPlay Display dropdown - Turn OFF
- Next, make sure that you direct your Audio to go out via HDMI to the Boxcaster. If this is not done BEFORE you open OBS then your audio will not appear on the stream.
- Start and configure OBS as desired.
- Right-click or Command-click on the preview window and choose “Monitor 1” or “BoxCast” from the “Projector” menu.
Streaming Manually using RTMP
OBS can be configured to stream manually to BoxCast using RTMP. To stream to BoxCast using manual RTMP configuration:
- From your BoxCast dashboard, schedule the broadcast like normal, selecting Single-Use RTMP or Static RTMP Channel as the Camera/Location.
- Up to 10 minutes before the scheduled start time, open your BoxCast dashboard and click on the event to be broadcast to open the detail view:
- Underneath RTMP Encoder Settings, click OBS Profile:
- Click Download Profile File to download an OBS profile for this broadcast.
- Open OBS.
- From the File menu, click Show Profile Folder.
- Unzip the downloaded profile zip file and place the unzipped folder in the profile folder opened in the previous step:
- Exit and restart OBS.
- From the Profile menu, click on the profile with your broadcast’s “slug” (which looks like the broadcast name, with dashes and a string of characters at the end):
- Configure your video and audio inputs and any static assets as appropriate.
- Click Start Streaming.