The Broadcaster App is the most powerful way to broadcast 1080p60 HD live video directly from your iPhone or iPad. Powered by HEVC, it's higher quality streaming with the same bitrate. Simply open the app and go live.
Follow the steps below to start streaming on the BoxCast Broadcaster App.
Download the BoxCast Broadcaster App from the App Store and log in. You will want to use the same credentials as you use to login to your Dashboard. Click here to download the app.
The Broadcaster app gives you 2 options. You can Schedule a broadcast or Go Live Now. Below we will explain what both buttons do.
GO LIVE NOW
1. Click the GO LIVE NOW button and select the source you want to go live from. In this case, select "Broadcaster" to go live from the app.
2. Once you select the Go Live Now button and the broadcaster app, you will start a broadcast that is public and 1 hour and 30 minutes long. The broadcast will go through the following phases... preparing broadcast... Configuring broadcast... LIVE. Once you are Live, it will be a public broadcast that will go to your website embed code and Tv apps (Roku / Apple Tv / Fire Tv).
1. To schedule a broadcast with the Broadcaster app click on Schedule Broadcast at the bottom of the screen.
2. Enter your Broadcast details (Title, Description).
3. Tap Source and select the Broadcaster App as your source. *You may see other sources depending on what other equipment you may have.*
4. Once you selected your source, Tap the Back arrow and then tap Create.
5. Once you've created the broadcast, the Broadcaster App will then use your camera and microphone of the device to begin streaming. The app will configure settings and then begin to stream.
When the app has configured your broadcast and your broadcast has gone live. The app will display a "Live" icon on the bottom left corner of the display indicating bitrate, viewers and elapsed time.
To stop a broadcast at anytime, Tap the "X" button in the upper left corner.
A pop up will appear asking you to confirm that you'd like to stop the broadcast. Tap Stop and the broadcast will end.
If you have already created a broadcast in the BoxCast Dashboard or have created a broadcast from the app for a later date. Follow this to get streaming using the app for previously scheduled broadcasts.
Open the Broadcaster app and find the schedule broadcast that you're intending to go live with. Tap on the broadcast image tile to open the broadcast.
Once inside the broadcast. You can now Tap on Start Broadcast to begin streaming from the app.
- REMEMBER: Data transmission will be disrupted completely if you minimize the app OR if you take a call. It is always best to put your device into "Airplane Mode" - activate "Wifi" - AND turn on "Do Not Disturb". Any phone call or FaceTime will completely disrupt the broadcast until the call is ended.
*Note 1: Airplane Mode will turn cellular data off. If the cellular network is the only network you have to work with then do NOT put your device in Airplane Mode.
*Note 2: Uplink bandwidth is critical to a high quality stream, so you should do your best to ensure the wifi network is not congested and backed by sufficient internet service.
When you are done with your broadcast simply "X" out of it and you will be taken back to your Dashboard where you can manage all events after the fact.
Q: What is the best way to get audio into my iPhone or iPad?
A: Check out this article for more information - How do I bring mixer audio into the BoxCast Broadcaster app?
or check out this video - Send Audio from a Mixer to Your iPhone X
Q: What microphone do you recommend for broadcasting with my phone?
A: We recommend the Shure MV88+. Here is our quick review video on the Shure MV88+.
Q: Can I stream to Facebook, Youtube, Periscope and other social media destinations with the Broadcaster app?
A: Yes, you can! Check out how to do that for here - How to Stream to Facebook, YouTube, Periscope and other RTMP destinations with the Broadcaster App
Q: Does the Broadcaster app work on android devices?
A: It currently does not. We currently recommend an app called Larix to stream with andriod. Check out this article on how to use it. How to use Larix Streaming App with the BoxCast Platform (Android Streaming App)
Q: Do I need to be on a BoxCast plan to use the Broadcast app?
A: BoxCast offers a FREE 14-day trial that you can begin here - Start your Trial Today. After that, you will need to be on a BoxCast plan.
Q: What devices are supported by the Broadcaster app?
A: Broadcaster app will work on any Apple devices with iOS 10 and later. iOS 11 is required for HEVC encoding.
Below is a list of devices that will work with HEVC encoding or check out this article to see if your device is on there.
- iPod Touch (7th generation)
- iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus or later
- iPad (6th generation) or later
- iPad Air (3rd generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
- iPad Pro (10.5 inch)
- iPad Pro (11 inch)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation) or later
Q: Can I watch a live stream with this app?
A: No. Broadcaster is for organizations that stream live events. If you are trying to watch an event streamed with BoxCast, contact the organizations for viewing information.
Q: Do I need hardware - like a BoxCaster or a BoxCaster Pro - to use this app?
A: No. While BoxCast hardware is great in many workflows, it is not required. Broadcaster uses your device and the BoxCast service to transcode and stream your Broadcast.