Integrating Wirecast with BoxCast
Telestream Wirecast is a software video mixer application that can be used to enhance the production value of your BoxCast broadcasts.
Using the BoxCast Destination Integration (RTMP)
You can select BoxCast as a streaming destination right from within Wirecast. This allows Wirecast to stream directly to BoxCast. It will utilize the computer for encoding the video and audio and will only transmit over RTMP.
Note: This can be used with either a Single-Use RTMP or Static RTMP Channel. However in both cases, the setup can only be done within 10 minutes of a scheduled broadcast.
- Open Wirecast. Click on the Output menu, then on Output Settings.
- In the Destination menu, select, BoxCast.
- From your BoxCast dashboard, schedule the broadcast like normal, selecting Single-Use RTMP as the Camera/Location.
- Up to 10 minutes before the scheduled start time, open Wirecast and click on the Output menu, then on Output Settings.
- From the Destination selection, choose BoxCast and click OK.
- In the Username field, enter the email address you use to log in to BoxCast, then click Authenticate.
- Enter your BoxCast password in the password prompt and click OK.
- Note: If it is longer than 10 minutes before a scheduled broadcast, you will not be able to authenticate. You will see no confirmation of your password working. If you would like to test the integration. Simply, schedule a test broadcast from the BoxCast Dashboard.
- From the Channel list, choose the broadcast you wish to broadcast (typically only one is available, and it should be selected automatically). This will also update the Name at the top of this screen.
- If your broadcast doesn’t appear, check to make sure it is no more than 10 minutes prior to the scheduled start time. You can also click the Refresh button to reload the list of broadcasts.
- From the Encoding list, select your desired Stream Resolution and aspect ratio.
- We have automatically configured these profiles for you. And in all cases, we’ll still transcode your video in the cloud for viewers with lower capabilities):
- 720p 16:9 -- 1280x720, 2.8 Mbps video, 128 kbps audio
- 1080p 16:9 -- 1920x1080, 4.8 Mbps video, 128 kbps audio
- 480p 4:3 -- 640x480, 1.0 Mbps video, 128 kbps audio
- 480p 3:2 -- 720x480, 1.0 Mbps video, 128 kbps audio
- Click OK to complete the setup.
- To start the broadcast Click Output -> Start / Stop Broadcasting -> Start All or Start <Stream Name>
Using a BoxCaster
Another way to stream from Wirecast is to send the Wirecast to a secondary HDMI output that is plugged into the BoxCaster. Using this approach provides the following advantages:
- The BoxCaster’s hardware encoding relieves your computer from the task of encoding the video and audio. Hardware encoding is more reliable and efficient.
- The BoxCaster can take advantage of specially-designed communication protocols to optimize your available network connectivity.
- The BoxCaster gives us the ability to help troubleshoot any issues with your broadcast, including hundreds of data points and logs our agents can look at. Wirecast provides limited troubleshooting capability.
To stream from Wirecast through your BoxCaster:
- Connect the Boxcaster to your computer via the appropriate cables (Display to HDMI, Thunderbolt to HDMI, VGA to HDMI, etc).
- Start Wirecast. Go to Output - Multi-viewer Output - Configure Displays - change the Monitor to 1920x1280 - change Layout to Full Screen - change Labels to Do Not Draw Labels - then click the arrow in the window below and select Live - click OK
- Go back to Multi-viewer Output - and select the appropriately named output (might just be Display).
Check this video out if you are having trouble.