With the BoxCast cloud overlays feature, you can add PNG images to your broadcast without any extra hardware or software mixer/switcher equipment. It's as simple as dragging-and-dropping your graphics onto a canvas on the dashboard and clicking save!
At any point after scheduling, you can upload PNG images and place them on a transparent grid to be overlaid on the video during the broadcast. The simple drag-and-drop canvas can be changed live during the broadcast. You can use this for lower thirds, full slates, corner bugs -- or any combination of them. You can even use this in conjunction with BoxCast scoreboard overlays.
Adding an Overlay:
- Browse to the broadcast details page on the BoxCast Dashboard
- Tap the "Overlays" tab
- In the Overlay Gallery section, drag and drop or browse to upload an image from your computer
- Images must be PNG format and less than 5MB in size
- Recommended resolution is 1920x1080 for full size slates
- Transparency in the image is supported
- Hover over the newly uploaded image and tap the "Add Overlay" button
- Drag-and-drop or resize in the canvas to position the image how you'd like
- Click "Apply Changes"
- Note: the overlay is applied against real time, so it takes approximately 30-60 seconds for changes to appear to viewers in the video player
Removing an Overlay:
- While on the broadcast details page, navigate to the Overlays tab and review the Overlay Gallery section
- Active overlay images are highlighted with a border
- Hover over the image you'd like to deactivate and tap "Remove Overlay"
- Note: this makes the overlay no longer active but does not remove it from your gallery. To remove it from your gallery entirely, hover over the image once again now that it is not active, and tap the "Delete" button
If you use Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator, we have created a properly sized template for you to use when creating the overlay.
Do the overlays appear immediately in the video?
- The timing of when changes are made to the overlays vs the "live action" is similar to scoreboard changes - changes are immediately applied against real time, so they'll show up to viewers 30-60 seconds after you activate the overlay.
Can I use overlays in conjunction with score overlays?
- YES. Do realize that the graphic overlays appear on top of the scoreboard. If you desire a full page slate with the scoreboard showing through, you can add transparency in the area where the scoreboard would appear to allow it to show through the slate.
How many overlay graphics can I use at the same time?
- We recommend no more than 5 simultaneous overlay graphics. If you think you need more, consider making 1 1920x1080 graphic with all your images composed together.
Will the overlay appear if I have no other video signal?
- No, these graphic overlays only appear while the video is received by the BoxCast servers. Until the video is received, there is no actual broadcast to overlay the images on.