BoxCast streams to viewers using a technology called HTTP Live Streaming (HLS). Created by Apple and used by companies worldwide, HLS utilizes standard web servers and Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) to distribute streaming media in small chunks.
The URLs to these chunks are presented in a list, called a playlist or an M3U8 (so named because of the file extension), which players use to download and present media. When combined with adaptive bitrate streaming, another playlist is used to serve multiple quality levels of content.
- If your integration provides a "web view," you case use the "Third-Party App" embed option, placing the embed code in the web view contents. This will utilize the BoxCast player within the integration. (See our embedding FAQ for more details.)
- Use our viewer SDKs to natively integrate BoxCast broadcasts into your app. We have viewer SDKs for AppleTV (TVML), Apple native (iOS, macOS, etc.), Roku, and Android.
- For even better integration, use our developer API to list, find, and play broadcasts. This will save you the effort of entering information for each and every broadcast.
For any questions about integrations, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If Other Options Will Not Work
You can fetch the M3U8 URL from the Embed page on the dashboard (Other Integrations tab).
In general, here is how the channel or account M3U8 will work:
- When you are live, your integration will receive the live broadcast.
- When you are not live, your integration will receive an error that there is no live video.
- Depending on your integration, their video player may interpret this error in different ways such as a loading spinner.
Please note that the caveats above apply, namely that viewer analytics will be lost for those who watch on this link.
There is a chance that the M3U8 for the entire account will not work for your app provider. In that case, we encourage you to reach out to them and encourage them to work with us on a simple, direct integration.
- Does the m3u8 link ever expire?
- Do I get viewer analytics with static m3u8 URLs?
No, you must consider a different type of integration if you wish to retain viewer analytics.
- Can I use privacy or ticketing features with the m3u8 link?
- No, you must consider a different type of integration if you wish to retain those features.