Integrating the Teradek VidiU with BoxCast
The VidiU and VidiU PRO are small hardware encoders made by Teradek. You can stream from the VidiU family to BoxCast using RTMP.
To stream to BoxCast using a VidiU or VidiU PRO:
- From your BoxCast dashboard, schedule the broadcast like normal, selecting Generic RTMP as the Camera/Location.
- Up to 10 minutes before the scheduled start time, open your BoxCast dashboard and click on the event to be broadcast to open the detail view:
- Underneath Broadcast Controls, click Broadcast From Other Encoder
- Leave this window open, as you’ll need to copy and paste this information into another window later.
- Plug power, network, and a video input into the VidiU. Power it on and ensure it can connect to the internet. For more detailed help with setting up the VidiU, consult Teradek’s quick start video.
Note: many of the following steps could be performed either from the VidiU mobile app, or from the front panel of the device itself. Configuring the device from the web page seems to be the easiest workflow; if you wish to use the mobile app or the device’s front panel, consult Teradek’s help center for more instructions.
- Obtain your VidiU’s IP address by doing the following:
- Press the Menu button on the front of the VidiU device.
- Navigate down to "Network Settings" and press the Menu button again.
- With "wired" selected, press the Menu button. An IP address is displayed (e.g. 192.168.2.61).
- Type this IP address in a new browser tab or window to visit the device’s web page:
- Click on the Settings button in the upper right-hand corner:
- Click on Broadcast:
- Expand the Platform section and choose Manual. Choose Local configuration. From the BoxCast page, copy the RTMP base URL (looks like rtmp://<ip-address>:<port>/live) by clicking on the icon next to the URL; paste this value into the VidiU’s RTMP Server URL field. Copy the Stream key from the BoxCast page and paste it into the VidiU’s Stream field. Your configuration should look something like this:
- Minimize the Platform section; in the Quality section, you can either manually choose a quality level, or click Suggest Quality to let the VidiU run a bandwidth test and recommend a level. Make sure Adaptive Bitrate is Enabled. Choose Full for Frame-rate, and Auto for Audio Quality:
- Click Apply in the upper right-hand corner, then click Settings in the upper left-hand corner, and Done in the upper left-hand corner to return to the device’s home page.
- To start the broadcast, click the large, green antenna button near the bottom center:
- The device should now be broadcasting and will eventually show as live!